Cereus House is one of the thirteen houses of the Night Court.
Its canon is fragility, and they believe that Naamah lay with the King of Persis knowing that Blessed Elua's time on earth was fleeting and he needed to be free in order to live it to the fullest.  Cereus adepts are renowned for their fragility and delicate, pale beauty. They cultivate an appreciation for the fleeting nature of life and beauty. They believe that beauty is at its most poignant just as it's about to fade. Some adepts find true steel within themselves once their beauty fades. The ideal appearance of a Cereus adept is fragile and beautiful, with blond hair.
General Information Edit
Cereus House is the first house of the Night Court, founded by Enediel Vintesoir seven hundred years before the series takes place. Because of this, it enjoys a special status. The Dowayne has a seat on the City Judiciary and it is not unheard for a ruling monarch to ask the Dowayne for advice. Cereus hosts the Midwinter Masque each year. Cereus always supplies the Winter Queen and its adepts always dress in a winter white and silver theme for the masque.
When Phedre was four years old, her parents were out of money. Her mother asked for an audience with Miriam Bouscevre, the Dowayne of Cereus House, and Phedre was sold into indenture there. She lived at Cereus for six years until joining Delaunay's household at age ten.
Melisande hosts a birthday party for Prince Baudoin at Cereus. Baudoin treats the adepts in an undignified manner, pulling them onto his lap, and Phedre remarks that Cereus adepts are unused to such treatment. She notices that Melisande enjoys the adepts' discomfort and speculates that is why she chose Cereus House for the party. Every adept's nightly fee is paid so they are free to entertain the guests.
Jareth Moran, Dowayne at the end of Kushiel's Dart, provides Phedre with the house tokens she promised Phedre's Boys.
Cereus livery is deep blue and gold.
Characters Associated with Cereus House Edit
- Miriam Bouscevre
- Dowayne when Phedre is sold into indenture, later replaced by Jareth Moran.
- Jareth Moran
- Second under Dowayne Miriam, later becomes Dowayne
- Adept of Cereus House who plays the Winter Queen at Phedre's first Midwinter Masque, later Second to dowayne Jareth.
- Cecilie Laveau-Perrin
- Adept under Dowayne Miriam, later wed to the Chevalier Antoine Perrin, friend of Delaunay and Phedre and Alcuin's instructor in Naamah's arts.
- Ellyn & Etienne
- Brother and sister, fosterlings during Phedre's time.
- Fosterling during Phedre's time.
- Fosterling during Phedre's time, originally from Mandrake House.
- Adept who entertains Phedre at Baudoin's birthday party.
In Moirin's TrilogyEdit
- Jehanne de la Courcel
- Wife of Daniel de la Courcel, former Cereus adept
|Court of Night-Blooming Flowers|